Yorkshire Three: Wetherby stretch winning run to 30 games

Wetherby v Halifax (Photo: Guy Roberts)
Wetherby v Halifax (Photo: Guy Roberts)

Wetherby went to the top of Yorkshire Three with their 30th win in a row after beating Halifax 43-6 on Saturday.

The game at Grange Park started slowly for both team with no points being scored in the first 10 minutes.

This made the decision for Wetherby to take three points when a penalty came about in Halifax’s half, captain Danny Warden kicking the points.

The visitors quickly gathered the ball back from a clever restart and the number 10 for Halifax quickly evened the scores at 3-3 thanks to a drop goal.

Wetherby continued to apply pressure and managed to break the Halifax line several times, however some great last ditch tackling by the visitors kept the scores equal.

This was until a quick turnover ball and good hands released Tom Hicks to run from the half way line and put Jack Kaye in for the first try in the corner which proved a difficult kick for Danny Warden to convert,

Wetherby v Halifax (Photo: Guy Roberts)

Wetherby v Halifax (Photo: Guy Roberts)

Halifax once again came straight back from the restart and Wetherby gave away a penalty which was converted to make the score 8-6.

Wetherby were in the ascendancy with their forward turning over a lot of ball for the backs, but it just didn’t seem to happen with Halifax’s defence proving strong in the backs.

Against the run of play Halifax’s 10 then made a break through the Wetherby line after a good set move and looked destined for the try line but Myles Oates saved the Reds from going behind with a try saving tackle.

This break woke Wetherby up and they started to apply pressure and only minutes later Harry Kaye with some decent footwork was over the line, Danny Warden added the conversion to take the score 15-6 at half time.

Wetherby v Halifax (Photo: Guy Roberts)

Wetherby v Halifax (Photo: Guy Roberts)

With the start of the second half it was all to play for. Wetherby pinned Halifax back into there own 22 to which they defended well for the first 10 minutes. The defence couldn’t last though as a quick tap penalty from Will Dutton and some great strength put him over the try line.

This finally put some day light between the two teams after Danny Warden added the extras, 22-6.

The game carried on in a similar vein with Wetherby pinning Halifax back deep into there half and not giving up any yards in defence.

Halifax appeared to tire and once Wetherby did get the ball in hand the tries continued with Tom Hicks scoring after a brilliant run round the tiring defence making the score 29-6 after the conversion, and also giving Wetherby the bonus point.

This was followed by a combination of a great backs move and a well timed line from Alex Dus at full back putting him self under the posts 36-6.

With the game won and only minutes remaining Wetherby tried to add more points which they successfully did and Jonathan Wheatley was put in for the final try of the game, making the final score 43-6.

Wetherby travel to Northallerton next weekend and will have to prove they have more than what they showed in there win against Northallerton in the Silver Trophy Final at the end of last season which they won 18-13.