Wetherby Athletic bank weekend double

editorial image
Share this article

The trophy cabinet at Wetherby Athletic is filling up fast, after two cup triumphs over the Bank Holiday weekend.

Athletic’s Sunday squad upset the odds to beat Claro League champions Sherwood 3-0 in the League Challenge Cup on Sunday.

The club’s reserves squad then came back from a two-goal deficit to lift the Barkston Ash Active8 Cup on Monday in dramatic fashion.

Two goals in the final five minutes helped Chris Johnson’s reserves win the final 3-2 at Tadcaster Albion’s 2inspire Stadium.

The double triumph added to the Sunday side’s district cup success in the Barkston Ash JB Plows competition last week to make it three trophies in one week for the senior outfits.

Charlie Yates scored twice and Luke Dubery also found the net as underdogs Athletic stunned Sherwood on Sunday.

The triumph gave manager Martin Powell a last hurrah after a decorated three years in charge of the side.

Powell has collected five trophies since he took charge of the team. He will concentrate his attentions on the club’s new U-21s side next season.

Powell said: “It was a brilliant way to end. It couldn’t have gone any better.

“We were underdogs but we played really well.

“They were a quality side and they have proven that they are the best side by winning the league

“But Charlie and Luke up front were unbelievable.

“We had five teenagers in our team and they were full of running until the last minute.

“I was surprised by the scoreline but, given the way the lads performed, we deserved to win it.”

Sunday captain Brian Blewitt has also announced his retirement from Sunday football after leading the side to the double.

Athletic’s first team can complete the celebrations this Saturday should they gain the one point needed to stave off relegation from the West Yorkshire Premier.

The Tangerines welcome Horbury Town to the Ings for a 2.30pm kick-off.

However, their safety could already be sealed, depending on how Kippax fared against Oxenhope Recreation last night, after the News went to press.

If Kippax failed to win, Mark Forster’s men would be assured of Premier football next season.

The first team missed their chance to confirm their status at home on Saturday as they fell down 4-2 against second-placed Beeston St Anthony.

Boss Forster said: “I would imagine for the neutral this was a very entertaining game. Both sides played some really good football.“