Junior Football: Kirk Deighton march on with 5-0 win over Beckwithshaw

Kirk Deighton
Kirk Deighton

Kirk Deighton Rangers U-17s maintained their push for the league title with an impressive and comfortable 5-0 victory against their gutsy Beckwithshaw Bulls opponents.

KDR’s first half goals came courtesy of an Owen Davies header from a Harry Stobert cross, followed by Man of the Match, Keiran Tucker’s smashing second, storming into the box from midfield.

The second half goals came from Matthew Lewis’ precise finish, having been laid on a plate by ‘Doc’ Romans-Hay and a double from Chris Stephenson - a header and a last minute, last kick of the match penalty.

Chris is now KDR’s joint top scorer on nine from 14 appearances alongside Matty Johnson.

This weekend KDR U-17s turn their attention to the Cup when they defend their 2013 League Cup title with a semi-final clash against rivals for the League title, Ilkley.

Pannal Sports U-15s ended Thackley Warriors’ two-year unbeaten run with a 3-1 victory in the Main Cup.

Working hard against the reigning champions George Mills from 25 yards out curled the ball into the top corner for a 1-0 Pannal lead.

Thackley’s fast forwards created chances, but the back four – Jacob Aldore, Dec Hall, Phil Milsom and Luke McAvoy – were superb in their tackling.

Pannal Sports doubled their lead when hard working Sam Cowham battled through their defence, to score the second goal.

Thackley pulled one back with a set piece free kick, and a header into the bottom corner.

In the second half, Ben Smith pulled off a great save, rushing out of goal to battle Thackley’s striker while Joel Fireman and Harry Robertson worked tirelessly in midfield, and produced some inch perfect passes.

Sports kept up the pressure, and it was only a matter of time before they added the third, with Will Denton winning the ball in midfield, passing out left to Man of the Match Christian King, who beat two players before crossing the ball for Hugh Lewis to smash home.

Kirk Deighton U-12s paid dearly for a slow start away at Wigton Moor, ultimately losing out 3-0.

The home side were more positive and sharper and with the aid of some good fortune managed to build a three- goal lead by half time.

The visitors got into their stride in the second half and went on to dominate in terms of offensive play. However Kirk Deighton squandered their chances and failed to score for the first time this season.

The result looked harsh in light of the overall performance.

Dominic Beech and Harry Watson had very busy and effective games in defence.

Henry Booth was named man of the match for a competitive performance right to the end.