Harrogate Town extend unbeaten run with AFC Fylde win

editorial image

Andy Gascoigne scored his fourth goal in as many games as Harrogate Town shocked high-flying AFC Fylde 2-1.

A sparkling first half performance from H Town laid the foundations for an impressive victory.

An early run down the left by Louis Swain created a chance for Jordan Thewlis and it took a strong challenge from Tom Hannigan to halt the Town forward.

The Coasters replied with Matt Blinkhorn finding Richie Allen in space on the right, but his weak lob was easily dealt with by Peter Crook.

However,it was Town who opened the scoring after sixteen minutes when Crook dispatched Ryan Fallowfield down the right wing and his diagonal pass split the home defence for Gascoigne to score his fourth in four games with a shot into the far corner of the net.

Jack Emmett’s pace and trickery were stretching the home defence and from one of his cut backs Lewis Turner fired over the bar.

A powerful run by Thewlis ended with him being brought down in the area,but Referee Paul Brown waved away Town’s appeals for a penalty.

Paul Clayton, who had a magnificent match leading the forward line, doubled the score when his lob deceived Fylde’s keeper, Ben Hinchliffe, who had strayed off his line.

Town soon had a chance to put the game to bed when Thewlis broke clear before playing in Clayton, but Hinchliffe made amends for his earlier blunder by making a superb save to keep out Clayton’s shot.

Fallowfield shot at Hinchliffe after picking up Emmett’s clever backheel,before the half ended with Blinkhorn and sub Danny Rowe going close for the Coasters.

A free kick from Gascoigne at the start of the second half fizzed just over the bar,but it was Fylde who began to dominate proceedings.

Town,with Dave McGurk and Leigh Franks solid in defence,had to survive a series of corners as Fylde looked for a way back into the match.

Blinkhorn shot over the top after good work by Caspar Hughes and then Crook was well positioned to keep out a shot on the turn from Danny Lloyd.

Town,roared on by a vociferous band of supporters,were still looking dangerous on the break,with Thewlis just failing to connect with a Gascoigne free kick and Emmett rounding the keeper from a Clayton flick on,only to run out of space.

With 11 minutes left, Fylde’s relentless pressure finally paid dividends when Danny Rowe poked home in a goalmouth scramble.

Dominic Rowe and Jake Speight were late replacements for Emmett and Thewlis as Town tried to weather the storm.

Cecil Nyoni was tireless in Town’s midfield as they easily negotiated the four minutes added time to record an excellent victory.