Harrogate and District League: Kirkby Malzeard start with successive losses as Bedale and Hampsthwaite win

Kirkby Malzeard's Reece Windle and Kirk Deighton's Neil Nicholson
Kirkby Malzeard's Reece Windle and Kirk Deighton's Neil Nicholson
  • Kirkby Malzeard lose opening two games
  • Bedale defeat reigning champions Rawdon Old Boys
  • Hampsthwaite return to Premier Division with Knaresborough Celtic win

Kirkby Malzeard have endured a difficult start to the season suffering back to back losses at the hands of Harlow Hill and Kirk Deighton.

Harlow dealt Malzeard an opening day thumping as they ran out 7-1 winners, while a trip to Kirk Deighton didn’t provide much better results for Del Chambers’ side who were beaten 4-2.

The season got going in the worst possible fashion for Kirkby, conceding three goals in the opening 15 minutes.

Another first half strike meant Kirkby trailed 4-0 at the break, although the visitors pulled one back through Ryan Blanchard.

Kirkby couldn’t prevent Harlow adding another three to their total, however, as the dominant hosts recorded a 7-1 win.

Kirkby player Chris Slater said: “It was a difficult start for us and we were all disappointed with the result.

“We are looking to bounce back quickly after the poor start.

Kirkby then took on Kirk Deighton and ended up on the wrong side a 4-2 score-line, although Slater was encouraged by the improved performance.

He said: “The Kirk Deighton performance was much improved and we need to take that into the upcoming games.

“We have got to remain positive and want to forget about the Harlow Hill result as quickly as possible.”

Meanwhile, Bedale Town got their Harrogate and District League campaign off to the best possible start beating reigning champions Rawdon Old Boys 3-2.

Mikey Stevens opened the scoring after 20 minutes, beating a hesitant keeper to a back pass to give Bedale an important lead.

Rawdon turned the tie around, however, equalising after half an hour and taking the lead ten minutes into the second half.

Bedale levelled with 20 minutes to go when a scramble inside the box ended with Ross Hodgson slotting the ball home before the captain grabbed another to seal the win.

Manager Steve Reed said: “It was a very even and hard fought encounter from two sides intent on success but a big result for the hosts.”

Bedale will host Malzeard’s victors Harlow Hill on Saturday looking to build on their positive start to the season.

In the second tier, both Ripon Red Arrows and Thirsk Falcons have endured disappointing starts to the season, losing both opening fixtures.

The Red Arrows fell to a 6-2 defeat at the hands of AFC Horsforth before Pateley Bridge recovered from their 4-3 loss at Bramham to put three past the hosts in their second outing.

Thirsk Falcons, meanwhile, lost 5-2 at Pannal Sports before an incredible 7-3 home loss to Dalton Athletic sees the Falcons propping up the table.

Elsewhere, Hampsthwaite United returned to the Premier Division in style on Tuesday night after a 15 year absence by beating a strong Knaresborough Celtic side 3-1.

Under new First Team Coach Jason Rowe it was a story of three goals & three debutants as new signing Tom Meader struck first to put United ahead.

Hampsthwaite led 1-0 at the break before substitute Adam Wood, having impressed in the Reserves last season on his first team debut scored Hampsthwaite’s second in the 65th minute.

Celtic pegged one back with 5 minutes to go before another of Rowe’s new signings Josh Underwood secure the game for the reds.