Boxing Day football: Penalty woes halt Harrogate Town as Railway hold Farsley Celtic

hsb   Town v Guiseley. Shane Killock scores Harrogate's first goal.  (131226M3a)
hsb Town v Guiseley. Shane Killock scores Harrogate's first goal. (131226M3a)

Harrogate Town paid the penalty for their ill-disciplined defending as visitors Guiseley stole three points from an action-packed Boxing Day clash at the CNG Stadium.

Visiting midfielder Gavin Rothery smashed home three spot-kicks as Guiseley beat Simon Weaver’s men 3-2.

Shane Killock and Steve Mallory twice pulled Town level in between midfielder Adam Bolder watching his penalty saved by Guiseley stopper Steve Drench.

Town goalkeeper Craig MacGillivray then conceded a late penalty which he was unable to keep out as Rothery slotted home for his, and his team’s, third.

Guiseley took the lead with their second attack when Luke Parkin turned in the area and was brought down by Matt Bloomer, Rothery hitting his penalty straight down the middle.

Soon after Town were level when Killock prodded past Guiseley keeper Steve Drench from a free-kick.

Guiseley soon retook the lead when Killock handled the ball while on the ground with Alex Johnson set to score, Rothery changing direction and scoring past MacGillivray’s left.

Town thought they had equalised on the brink of half-time but they were penalised for a push on Drench.

The beginning of the second half saw Town get a penalty of their own when Jake Lawlor caught Chris Hall in the area.

However, Bolder was unable to beat Drench who dived the right way to keep his side ahead.

Despite that miss, halfway through the second half Town equalised again when Steve Mallory headed from the back post.

But unbelievably Guiseley gained their third penalty when Johnson was brought down by MacGillivray.

Rothery again scored to get his hat-trick to seal victory and a psychological advantage ahead of the return fixture at Nethermoor Park on New Year’s Day.

Disappointed Town manager Simon Weaver said: “It’s unusual to concede so many penalties, but I feel this game was a passionate affair and a good game.”

Town travel to Vauxhall Motors on Saturday.

Meanwhile, the penalty count also went into overdrive as ten-man Harrogate Railway held second-placed side Farsley Celtic 1-1 at Station View.

Railway ‘keeper Peter Crook pulled off two heroic saves from 12 yards before veteran winger Colin Hunter blazed another penalty over for the home side.

Farsley missed for the first time from the spot when Crook saved Robbie O’Brien’s effort on seven minutes.

The visitors then opened the scoring through Adam Priestley before Rob Youhill levelled the tie up with a sweet finish.

Hunter then smashed over from 12 yards shortly before half-time.

But the penalty drama continued when Crook pulled off a second fine save to deny O’Brien again after the restart.

Midfielder Si Parkes saw red for a second yellow late on, before ten man Railway thought they had won it, only for the linesman to rule Nathan Cartman’s backheel out for off-side.

Railway host Kendal Town on Saturday.