Four avoid prison after brutal attack

The four were sentenced at York Crown Court.
The four were sentenced at York Crown Court.

Four men have been given suspended prison sentences for a savage attack on two teenage party-goers in Ripon which left one with a broken jaw.

Daniel Brown, Gary Brown and Jason Hope – all of Ripon – and Jordan Easby, of Sowerby, near Thirsk, pounced as the two 19-year-olds left a house party on Knaresborough Road in the city in the early hours of November 23.

The victims – Thomas Samson and Nathan Ward – were knocked to the ground and kicked and punched repeatedly.

The four attackers were later arrested and appeared at York Crown Court for sentence on Friday after pleading guilty to affray at a previous hearing.

The court heard the attack happened when Daniel Brown, 27, flanked by Easby, 21, ordered Mr Ward to leave the house party.

As Mr Ward and Mr Samson walked away from the property, they were followed by twins Daniel and Gary Brown, along with Easby and 21-year-old Hope.

First Gary Brown and Easby attacked Mr Samson, punching and kicking him until he fell to his knees. Daniel Brown and Hope then kicked and punched Mr Ward, with Easby adding another strike.

The attack only came to an end when the woman who was hosting the party came out of the house and told the attackers to stop.

Mr Ward, still on the ground, was picked up and taken back into the property, where Gary Brown reappeared and said he would “kick the living daylights out of anyone who called police”.

Prosecutor Anthony Moore said Mr Samson, from Boroughbridge, suffered a fractured jaw which had to be set with screws and plates. Mr Ward, from Ripon, suffered bruising and swelling to his head and chest.

Mr Moore said the Brown twins – who had been binge-drinking in the hours leading up to the attack – had previous convictions for violence.

At the time of the attack, Daniel Brown – who was still wearing part of a fancy-dress costume including black-and-white chequered trousers – was on prison licence for a previous offence.

His brother Gary – who has previous convictions for battery, assaulting a police officer, affray and harassment – was subject to a community order.

Their barristers said they both had a drinking problem which had fuelled their offending.

At the time of the attack, Easby, of Victoria Avenue, Sowerby, was on a suspended prison sentence for being concerned in the supply of Class A drugs on a single occasion.

Judge Stephen Ashurst told the four men: “It’s this type of violence in public that causes very considerable distress for those who witness it.”

The Brown twins, of High St Agnesgate, Ripon, were each given 15-month prison sentences suspended for two years, as well as 200 hours’ unpaid work.

Mr Ashurst revoked Gary Brown’s community order and replaced it with a further four-month jail sentence suspended for two years.

Easby was given a nine-month prison sentence suspended for two years, along with 100 hours of unpaid work and a £500 fine.

Hope, of Knaresborough Road, Ripon, was given a six-month sentence suspended for two years and was also ordered to carry out 100 hours’ unpaid work.

In addition, Gary Brown and Easby were each made to pay £750 compensation to Mr Samson.

Daniel Brown, Easby and Hope were also made to pay £250 each to Mr Ward.