A KNARESBOROUGH woman has spoken about the fear she felt when her house was struck by lightning on Tuesday evening after a thunderstorm hit the town.
The sudden and violent storm, which was so powerful some householders said their houses were shaking, hit the district at around 8.30pm.
Susan Dearlove from Meadow Road said she was in shock after her house received a direct strike from the lightning.
“It was absolutely horrendous,” she said. “The thunder was deafening and then when the lightning struck, I felt like I was in a war zone.
“The house was filled with smoke and bright white light as the bolt hit the house. I just didn’t know what had happened at first.
“The fireplace surround blew right off the wall, the electrical plug sockets exploded, the chimney stack fell down, the aerial burnt out in the attic and the chimney tiles flew off the roof.
“I called 999 immediately and the fire service was there in five minutes.
“My neighbours were evacuated too and we were told to leave our houses for the night. The electricity had to be turned off for the street whilst the area was made safe.”
Utility companies have since visited the property to make it safe and all Susan’s electrical goods will now have to be tested. She will be unable to return to the house for at least two weeks and a total rewiring may be needed.
She added: “I would like to say a thank you to all the friends and neighbours who have helped me following this, and also the fire crew and utility company representatives who have been so helpful and kind.”