Easingwold restaurant owner charged following peanut allergy death

editorial image

The owner of a restaurant has been charged with manslaughter by gross negligence after a customer with a peanut allergy died from anaphylactic shock.

Paul Wilson, aged 38, of Helperby, died in January last year after suffering a severe allergic reaction to a takeaway meal he bought from the Indian Garden restaurant in Easingwold.

Today a spokesman for North Yorkshire Police said Mohammed Khalique Zaman, 52, from York, has also been charged with perverting the course of justice and an employment offence under the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006.

He is due to appear at Northallerton Magistrates Court on April 24.

Mr Wilson, who had a son, Cameron, was pronounced dead after being found unresponsive in the living quarters of the Oak Tree Inn, in Helperby, where he worked as a bar manager, on January 30.

Peter Mann, Head of the Complex Casework Unit at the The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) Yorkshire and Humberside said: “The Crown Prosecution Service has been working closely with North Yorkshire Police in connection with this case.

“Having carefully considered all of the evidence presented to us, we have concluded that there is sufficient evidence, and that it is in the public interest to charge Mohammed Khalique Zaman with manslaughter by gross negligence, perverting the course of justice, and an employment offence under the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006.

“Accordingly I have today authorised North Yorkshire Police to charge Mohammed Khalique Zaman with these offences and he will first appear at Northallerton Magistrates’ Court shortly.

“This defendant has now been charged with serious criminal offences and has the right to a fair trial. It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings.”

Zaman will appear at Northallerton Magistrates’ Court on April 24.